NIAGARA FALLS POWER PLANT TOURS
You (and we) may refer to it as the Niagara Falls Power Plant but according to the officials who know best, it’s actually called the Niagara Falls Power Station.
Whatever you call it, it’s an impressive attraction and a wonderful addition to our Niagara Falls tour packages.
WHAT IS A NIAGARA FALLS POWER PLANT TOUR?
It’s your chance to explore the first major power plant built on the Canadian side of the Niagara river.
You get to stand next to the towering turbines and learn all about the fascinating history and abilities of the power station through restored artifacts, immersive exhibits and interactive storytelling. (1)
You can check out the Niagara Parks website for up to date information about tickets, hours and parking or better yet do yourself a favor and book an all-inclusive Niagara Falls walking tour that includes the Power Plant as well as a host of other attractions and landmarks!
HISTORY BEHIND THE NIAGARA FALLS POWER STATION
Requiring hundreds of workers and years to complete, the construction of the “Canadian Niagara Power generating station” was a landmark achievement. (2)
- May 23, 1901: Construction begins.
- July 27, 1905: Generators begin operating.
- 1917 - 1924: 6 additional generators added
- 2005: Ceased operations. It was producing 25 Hz power and would have needed a retrofit to start producing the North American standard of 60 Hz.
- 2009: Niagara Parks Commission takes over responsibility of the station.
- Today: Niagara Parks now welcomes people from all over the world to take a tour of the Niagara Falls Power Station.
In addition to day tours of the station, there is also a spectacular light show offered called Currents: Niagara’s Power Transformed.Walk Niagara Tours offers all-inclusive walking tours of Niagara Falls. Our tour guides lead groups 7 days a week between April and November.